According to the cabinet’s policies under the administration of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who had made a statement at the National Legislative Assembly on September 12th, 2014. He proposed to establish a policy that would improve the economic potential of the country on Article 6.18. Additionally, the statement emphasis on promoting the digital economy sectors and build a strong foundation to drive economic sectors, in the hope that they could complete in the modern world.
Digital Economy means the application for information and communication technology, which is a key mechanism to reform a manufacturing processing, business operations, commerces, services including the regular norm on digital usage. It is more flexible and adaptable to match dynamic changes that will affect economic development on the quality of human life in society, on better employment, on social activities, organization, community, the government services, including the benefits of using digital technology daily.
Office of the National Digital Economy and Society Commission is under the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society. It is the main agency responsible for setting policies for the digital economy and social development. Therefore, The Public Hi-Speed Internet for Phuket Smart City project is an important project in the digital infrastructure development strategy to develop a broadband network that covers public areas, tourist areas and areas of local administrative organizations in Phuket. This project is aiming to benefits the general public, tourists, or foreigners living in Phuket.
1. The people of Phuket can use the internet to access information and services that help them advance their careers, create businesses, and increase their incomes through the use of digital technology. Thus, they would be able to receive equal opportunities to access useful information to improve the standard of living through various digital services. Digital technologies help to expand their knowledge and abilities as well as help them equally gain access to modern public health services.
2. Foreigners or tourists can take advantage of internet services in conducting various online activities that could help to support their tourism activities. Therefore, This might help increase their motivation to invest in new businesses in Phuket.
3. Phuket has enough foundation and infrastructure which ready to support the use of modern technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT) and other innovations. The government hopes to launch Phuket as a Smart City to support the general public, Tourists, and local administrative organizations. The development plans as follows;
3.1 Providing public high-speed internet services with Wi-Fi wireless technology (Hi-speed Wi-Fi) should not be less than 100 locations, and having at least a total of 1,000 service points. The rate of receiving / transmitting data at a speed of not less than 100/25 Mbps. A fiber optic cable or a high-performance network is the main network to the target area and distribute high-speed internet via Wi-Fi wireless network.
3.2 Provide Digital Signage equipment and related systems more than 21 service points
3.3 Provide Beacon equipment and related systems over 2,000 service points
3.4 Provide online services in Smart City Platform which consisted of;
3.4.1 Smart City Mobile Application is a tool for the general public, tourists, and foreigners to receive direct information from reliable sources.
3.4.2 A Data storage system and integrated data management (Big Data) are available to provide data services.
3.4.3 A Reporting Tool establishes for presenting the information and decision making in managing the Smart City.
Download Application Smart Phuket 4.0
1. Providing public high-speed internet services with Wi-Fi wireless technology (Hi-speed Wi-Fi) for the general public, tourists, foreigners in various areas more than 100 locations and having at least a total of 1,000 service points. The rate of receiving / transmitting data at speed more than 100/25 Mbps through a fiber optic cable or a high-performance network. The main network covers the main landmarks and tourist attractions.
2. Providing online channels to help support communication and information center for tourists, entrepreneurs, the general public, and government sectors. The signal will send through digital signage and its operating system which arranges for more than 21 service points around Phuket province.
3. The information service channels for the general public and tourists in Phuket
3.1 Provide Beacon tools and related system more than 2,000 service points.
3.2 Office of the National Digital Economy and Society Commission provides the Smart City Platform System under the supervision of the Digital and Technology Infrastructure Division.
Digital and Technology Infrastructure Division,
the Office of the National Digital Economy and Society Commission